A Mythical Equation
The region of the Indian sub-continent is recognised for its diverse cultural history, rich in manifestations of art and literature. While political events and power shifts over the centuries have challenged the continuity of certain traditions, present times still reflect a number of these vernacular practices, which have been evolving more contemporary idioms against all odds and adapting to newer mediums as well as forms of display.
"There are many folk and tribal artists who have become recognised in their own right, standing alongside fine-art trained artists – a definite transformation from those who worked anonymously following ritual rhythms.
“A Mythical Equation” brings together a selection of these artists’ works from all across India, celebrating local interpretations of the Epic Ramayana and showcasing the vibrant imagery and eloquent visual narrative that accompanies such storytelling. The artworks revolve around the intersection of the divine with the worldly, and the sacred with the secular – unique qualities of the Indian cultural landscape that open up myriad spaces of artistic experimentation.
-Lina Vincent Sunish
Tangerine Art Space deeply believes in conserving and supporting this artistic heritage and is committed to providing a platform for folk and tribal artists to showcase their work and build new audiences.
The exhibition, set against the release of the book Vanara by Anand Neelakantan illuminates the distinctive linear and formal qualities of Gond, Bastar, Mithila, Madhubani, Pichwai and other indigenous art forms representing both the simplicity and the intricacy of the art forms.
The following is the list of participating artists:
1. Venkat Raman Singh Shyam - Gond paintings, Madhya Pradesh
2. Kalyan Joshi- Phad painting Rajasthan
3. Sanjay Chitara- Mata ni Pachhedi, Gujarat
4. Anil Wangad - Warli art, Maharashtra
5. Suresh Baghmare- Gadhawa kam , Bastar
6. Pranab Narayan Das- Patta Chitra, Odissa
7. Shailesh Pandit- Clay & Ceramic art, Mumbai
8. Mahalaxmi Karan- Madhubani, Bihar
9. Amrita- Madhubani, Bihar
10. Kamta Bhil- Bhil, Madhya Pradesh
11. Geeta bariya- Bhil, Madhya Pradesh
12. Mahesh Vishnoi- Pichhwai, Rajasthan
13. Kalam Patua - Bengal Patua, West Bengal
14. Ishwar Naik - Mandana, Karnataka
Venue: Art Café by Tangerine
Sheraton Grand Bangalore at Brigade Gateway.
Date: Novembers 14th - December 14th, 2018
Hours: Monday–Sunday 12.00noon –9.00pm